Saturday, May 2, 2015

Beryl: A Rocket on the Back of Healthcare



This picture has become my new expression for how I feel in this world of patient experience and transformation. Healthcare is a turtle, moving slowly and careful to stay protected from potential harm. With all of the current changes taking place, this slow moving turtle finds itself with a rocket strapped to its back.

Ready or not, the wheels of change are in motion!

Nothing is moving quickly enough for those who desire change. Everything is a blur for those who are new to understanding the movements underway; Patient/Family Engagement, Patient/Family Centered Care and Patient Experience.

One of the big rockets propelling forward today's healthcare environment is The Beryl Institute. As I shared in previous blogs, I was recently an attendee at the Beryl Conference in Dallas. They had so many amazing speakers and break out session leaders that I couldn't possibly capture it all so I have compiled a short list of some of my favorite quotes and themes from this amazing conference.


"Momentum creates moments and moments create momentum." 
This was a theme I heard often during the conference--focusing on "moments" in which we can give our patients special care--customized care to fit their needs--is what will set our organizations apart while providing the best patient/family experience possible.
"Moments" or "touch points" result in an experience that patients and families remember due to the emotional impact. 
Recognizing "moments" is something we can all work on and isn't as overwhelming as some of the broad stroke approaches to PFCC can feel.


Simon T Bailey used to work for Disney. He shared with us one of Disney's philosophies for success:
"Training does not fix what HR does not catch. 
Hire for attitude, train for success"
I will add to this that if we continue to work at involving PFAs into the interview process, we will have the best, and most qualified, team at the table making those key decisions!

My favorite keynote (and new favorite patient speaker) was Allison Massari.
She is profoundly moving and her presentation technique is something to be admired. I won't attempt to share her story--please take a look at her videos. I will share one quote from her keynote that we can all carry with us in this work and in our life:
"Compassion heals the places that medicine can not touch."

I was so impressed by the presentation given about the PFAC/PFA program at Virginia Mason. I learned a lot from them and thank them for being national leaders in this work. The quote I want to share with you now is from Kathy Leicester, a PFA with Virginia Mason:
"Generosity is a healing miracle.
Hope is based on connection, not outcome"


I love the themes emerging here. Patient experience is about the small moments, about authentic human connection and about making sure we have the right people in place to make those "touch points" meaningful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment